Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Guilty...

If you read my last post, I indicated that last night wasn't a good evening and that by bedtime Emma was wearing on my last nerve. I have to confess I was having a selfish, not-so-good-Mommy evening and I was so ready for that child to go to bed it wasn't even funny. Don't get me wrong, I love Emma with all my heart and I would give my life for her, as most mothers would. Still, sometimes my nerves get a little frazzled. Anyway, as I was proofreading a Comp II paper for Regina Mills this morning, I read a quote she included at the end of her paper. Here it is:

“…a word about family. You have amply demonstrated that you are achievers willing to work hard, long hours and set aside your personal lives. But it reminds me of that observation that no one was every heard to say on a deathbed, I wish I had spent more time at the office. Balance wisely your professional life and your family life. If you are fortunate enough to have children, your parents will warn you that your children will grow up and be gone before you know it. I can testify that it is true. God only allows us so many opportunities with our children to read a story, go fishing, play catch and say our prayers together. Try not to miss a one of them.”
Vince Foster, Deputy Council to President Clinton

Wow. I had to ask God to forgive me for not giving Emma the time she needed last night. For not taking a few moments to read to her before she went to sleep, and for not laying by her a minute when she asked me to. I think I'll go home tonight and read her a couple books before bed and smile when she asks me to put diapers on every baby doll and stuffed animal in the house, for the millionth time. I think I'll lay in her bed and tell her how much I love her over and over until she gets tired of me and tells me to go away (which she does most nights with a giggle). I owe her a few.

1 comment:

Jo said...

This post really hit home. I know I have been guilty of the same thing many times. Thanks for sharing the awesome thoughts. I know I don't want to miss any more moments because of things that don't really matter.