Tuesday, October 16, 2007

What???

But when you pray, go into a quiet room, and close the door??? (Matthew 6:6, paraphrased by me...) I know these words came from Jesus, but I'd like to ask him if he momentarily forgot the fact that he created 2 year olds to be loud and nosey. There is no quiet in our house, and there certainly is no closing the door. I know all mom's can empathize here--I can't even use the bathroom by myself, much less go into a room for more than 2.2 seconds without a little shadow. Don't get me wrong, I love Emma more than life itself and I wouldn't trade her for the anything in the world. Still, it does make it hard to find even just a few minutes to spend with God. I know I'm not the only mom who has ever experienced this, but it's been on my mind for the last few weeks.

Last year at school we incorporated a sustained silent reading time into every class day. This year, because of losing so much instrucation time, they took it away from us, and I really miss it. I decided though, that since I teach reading, I could just put that SSR time back into my day because I want to. I really looked forward to that time every day and it was a chance for me to sit in the quiet and read God's word and talk to Him. Granted, I'm in a room with about 25 teenagers, but the way I see it, it's better than nothing. At least it's quiet. I think it's a great idea for you to get up in the morning and have your quiet time with God early, but for some of us, it's truly not practical. I'm not a morning person. If I get up too early, or don't get enough sleep, I'm not very nice. It's not worth sacrificing everyone's day! I'm excited about implementing SSR back into my school day. I miss my time with God. I miss my few moments of quiet, even if I am sharing with a bunch of smelly teenagers...

My prayer for today: God, help me to get back in the habit of spending time with you every single day. Help me to make it a priority and put a void in my heart when I miss it. Help to come to You every day with an open heart and willing spirit. Speak to me.

No comments: