Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Baby update

Jason and I went to the doctor on Monday for another ultrasound of baby #2. My doctor checked all the developing "things" in there to make sure everything looked like it was forming ok. There was no fluid around the neck and a good solid nose bone, which means no Down Syndrome. The heart had four visible beating chambers, the brain tissue is developing nicely, and there's 3 good arteries in the umbilical cord. Ultrasounds are so amazing! The coolest thing to me was that as the doctor was checking everything out, you could see our little baby, clearer than I don't know what, sucking its little thumb. Only 12 weeks since it's conception, and it's already sucking its thumb!!! That is so amazing to me. I can't imagine how anyone could say that its "only a fetus" and not a baby. It may still look like a little alien, but it's a living, beautiful BABY to me. Emma was always sucking her thumb in all her ultrasound pictures--she still does. It runs in the family--her daddy was a major thumb-sucker, too. Jamie (Jason's sister) said, "Well, if it's already sucking its thumb, it obviously belongs to Jason!" Of course there's never been any question about that, but it's just amazing to me that its so tiny and can already comfort itself in that way.

Emma loves talking about the baby. I told her I was going to the doctor and he was going to take some pictures of our baby in Mommy's belly again. She told my mom and dad when we left her at their house that Mommy was going to have "that boy" take pictures of the baby again. She loves watching the ultrasound video, too. As we were watching it I was pointing out the different parts of the baby for her, and I think she really does see what I'm talking about. When it's over she always wants to watch it again. She's going to absolutely love being a big sister.

1 comment:

Lemon Princess said...

Great news! I'm at work right now & can only picture the new baby! What an amazing miracle from God! Love you!